Becoming a mother at 46 and the adventure of having a baby unicorn!

Thursday, January 22, 2009

I am an Evangelist...????

Today I went to a dinner to honor the Channel 10 Leadership award winners from 2008. I met some very nice people that are all about charity! It was wonderful to see Geni Cavatt again, she is so funny! and now on to the Evangelist thingy...


I was told by my husband that I am an Evangelist for Scrapbook Royalty. This may sound stupid but I really didn't realize that people that are not in the bible call themselves that! But they do. Its a title like President or Sales Representative. I am not going to add that to my business card, but I did look it up (dictionary.com) and it is kind of interesting...


e⋅van⋅ge⋅list   /ɪˈvændʒəlɪst/ [i-van-juh-list] –noun
1.
a Protestant minister or layperson who serves as an itinerant or special preacher, esp. a revivalist.
2.
a preacher of the gospel.
3.
(initial capital letter) any of the writers (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John) of the four Gospels.
4.
(in the primitive church) a person who first brought the gospel to a city or region.
5.
(initial capital letter) Mormon Church. a patriarch.
6.
a person marked by evangelical enthusiasm for or support of any cause


So I guess the last definition applies but then I thought I'd better look up "evangelical" and here is what it says:


e⋅van⋅gel⋅i⋅cal 

 /ˌivænˈdʒɛlɪkəl, ˌɛvən-/ [ee-van-jel-i-kuhl, ev-uhn-] –adjective
1.
Also, e⋅van⋅gel⋅ic. pertaining to or in keeping with the gospel and its teachings.
2.
belonging to or designating the Christian churches that emphasize the teachings and authority of the Scriptures, esp. of the New Testament, in opposition to the institutional authority of the church itself, and that stress as paramount the tenet that salvation is achieved by personal conversion to faith in the atonement of Christ.
3.
designating Christians, esp. of the late 1970s, eschewing the designation of fundamentalist but holding to a conservative interpretation of the Bible.
4.
pertaining to certain movements in the Protestant churches in the 18th and 19th centuries that stressed the importance of personal experience of guilt for sin, and of reconciliation to God through Christ.
5.
marked by ardent or zealous enthusiasm for a cause.–noun

6.
an adherent of evangelical doctrines or a person who belongs to an evangelical church or party.
Origin: 1525–35; < class="blsp-spelling-error" id="SPELLING_ERROR_14">evangelicus (< LGk euangelikós; see evangel 1 , -ic ) + -al 1


So #5 applies and I am starting to feel it but I thought I'd better look up the origin "evangel" cause it sounds like Angel to me and that I know I am not! and this is what i found:


e⋅van⋅gel1   /ɪˈvændʒəl/ [i-van-juhl]
–noun
1.
the good tidings of the redemption of the world through Jesus Christ; the gospel.
2.
(usually initial capital letter) any of the four Gospels.
3.
doctrine taken as a guide or regarded as of prime importance.
4.
good news or tidings.


So #4 works for me. I hope that when I am "marked by ardent or zealous enthusiasm for a cause." that I am bringing "good news or tidings" to the people I am talking to. That they see that I am really doing this from my heart and my only ulterior motive is that I get to brag about doing good. I really am "a person marked by evangelical enthusiasm for or support of a cause" But I know it is almost impossible to believe. I am so not a saint! I just get the best feeling from doing charity work and I really can't explain it because it is work, but I just really really love what I do. It makes me the Happiest Happy People!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Elena! You look great in that picture! I just found your new blog. Just wanted to say Hi, and Happy Belated Birthday.

Melissa Kennedy said...

Evangelical Elena - maybe a new name?????
No one could ever doubt the zealous enthusiasm you have for not only your causes but for life.
Am so glad God led me to meet you.
Love you girl.
-xx-